Microsoft Surface RT vs. iPad
The benefits of owning a tablet are thrown in our faces everyday through all sorts of advertisements. However, if you are in the market for a new device, how do you know which one is the best choice for you or your company? Advertisements from both sides are generally biased and often times this makes it difficult when it comes to decision time. From the Fuse Labs, we wanted to break down both the Microsoft Surface RT and the iPad and giving you our opinion.
Up first, Microsoft’s Surface RT: Price- $399.
- Includes full version of Office
- Familiar platform for Windows users
- USB and HDMI ports available
- Fast and beautiful Windows 8
- Laptop/ tablet hybrid
- Kickstand included
- RT does not support desktop applications
- Microsoft’s App Store is severely lacking compared to Apple’s App Store
- Poor Branding In Ads
- Sometimes the RT and Pro are mixed up and leaves prospective consumers confused and aggravated by the price shock between the two models.
- No GPS or Connectivity, but location services are available on WiFi network
Next up is Apple’s iPad: Price range starting from $329- $499
- Thin, Sleek, beautiful design
- High Resolution 2048/1536 (Retina Display only at this time)
- Solid Battery life
- LTE and GPS enabled options
- Dual Cameras
- Glossy display casts glare in direct light
- Lightning connector is not compatible with existing accessories and the adapters are pricey
- Battery is not intended for replacement, consequently attempting on your own is difficult
- Cannot upgrade storage capacity
- No SD card slot, HDMI or USB connection
So Which Device is Better?
At Fuse we love both of these devices, each having their own features and benefits that attract different consumers. For example a traveling business man who needs access to Office and Email primarily may find that the Surface is exactly what he is looking for; while consumers who need app support, whether it be customized applications or one of the 900,000 available on the App store may find the iPad their perfect solution. At Fuse we are able to do an audit on all of your computing systems and give you our professional recommendation on which device will leverage your needs best. Still not quite sure which is best for your needs? Let us know, we would love your feedback and the opportunity to see what this technology could mean for your Business.