Cryptolocker is a malicious piece of “ransomware” which infects your computer, locking your data files and charging an amount of money be paid to receive a key to unlock the data affected. If you do not have a backup copy of the data or do not pay the ransom in the stated time, Cryptolocker will delete the key necessary for restoration and your data will be lost forever.
How Does Cryptolocker infect my computer?
The following four methods of infection are the most commonly known at this time:
- Originally spread through emails sent to company addresses that posed as legitimate customer service related issues (from FedEx, UPS, DHS, etc.) These emails would then infect the computer
- Zbot infections disguised as PDF attachments that install the infection to the computer
- Exploit kits located on hacked websites that exploit vulnerabilities on your computer to install the infection
- Through Trojans that pretend to be programs required to view online videos.
How to Resolve and Prevent Ransomware
Cryptolocker disguises itself as a legitimate email attachment which then installs itself on your computer to encrypt and limit access to the data that is essential to your day-to-day operations. In the event that you become a victim of this ransomware, there are very few solutions that will return you back to normal without paying the ransom notated from the malware itself.
- Keep Backups of your information readily available to restore your system
With this solution there is a couple of points that should be addressed to insure that you are protected in the event of an attack. If you are using a local backup on site that continually saves your data, these hard drives can also be at risk to this specific attack, rending these backups useless. Additionally, it is important that even if you use local backups that they are stored off of your machine and on a device such as an external hard drive.
- Use Remote Backups off location to save your data
Remote backups are the only way to ensure that you will be unaffected by the installation of this malicious ransomware, Cryptolocker. With this solution your data is off site, readily accessible and out of reach of this ransomware.
Take a look at Fuse’s remote backup services, which are managed 24/7 to ensure that your data is backed up properly each and every instance. Looking for another solution? There are so many remote backup solutions out there – the best way for Fuse to help you find the best solution is to talk with one of our Technicians today – call us now for more help!